Tuesday, October 12, 2010

A writer puts down her pen

The title to this post sounds so final. I know it.

We have all heard the old adage, write what you know. But I've realized something lately. If all you do is write then you won't have all that much to know. It's a lot like doing all the talking and none of the listening.

For too long I have been neglecting all those little things around the house. Maybe I have even been doing a bit too much ignoring of the little things that pitter patter around the house, as well. So, this past weekend I decided to (gasp) not turn on the computer.

We got so much done. I almost feel satisfied. Still, there is a lot left to do. But for the first time the kids found something to play with amongst the multitude of toys that they have because when there is order the clutter makes all the thousands of dollars spent on gifts and playthings turn into one big blurr of junk.

It is also quite amazing what happens when you actually do hang up all the laundry and suddenly realize that they have outgrown all their long pants just in time for winter.

Well, enough writing and off to replenish their wardrobes.