Saturday, October 23, 2010

Caledon Election update: last minute campaign tactics

Every election is a critical one but none has been more important for Caledon as the one that will take place on Monday, October 25, 2010.
Being a small town (well a large land mass but still a small town) the style of politics is of a much different flavor that what the good people of Toronto are used to. But so much is at stake this time around that the gap in styles has narrowed significantly.
I haven't been in Caledon long but from what I've seen and heard, the level of lies and underhanded tactics used this time around are truly unprecedented.
Most of it was more or less relayed through third party reports, though I did see signs missing that had been there in the morning and mysteriously vanished the next time I looked.
There were also reports of some unsavory prerecorded telephone calls. I think I got one but tend to hang up as soon as I hear a non-human voice following a pause when I pick up the phone. Still, enough people didn't hang up fast enough and heard all sorts of gag worthy innuendos.
Today, two days before the election we've reached a new low. Making sure that the signs would not be taken down due to timing they popped up where surely they would not have been permitted to go had permission been requested.
This squeals of desperation. If the support was really there they wouldn't have to wait for until after business hours on the 11th hour.
Here's hoping the good guys will win because the people of Caledon really aren't that gullible.