Friday, October 29, 2010

I should be doing my taxes

A long time ago I sat in front of a computer and read the line on the form asking when I would like my year end to be. Thinking myself all wise and powerful I said "well, December 31st is a terrible time. There is so much going on. The fall is crazy with the new school year. The winter time has Valentine's day. There's nothing going on in the summer. July 31st it is!"

Let me tell you that this was not a good decision. I'm lucky if I get them in just after New Year's. This year I vowed to be better. Mainly because I have received about six envelopes from Revenue Canada saying that my account has been sent to collections with an interest amount of $6, now $10. It's growing. I haven't opened the last few envelopes.

It really isn't procrastination. It's just a matter of supreme disorganization. Stuff is piled up everywhere and I hate missing that one line item after sending everything in. 20% of the water bills.... aaargh!!!

So, this year I started things a bit differently. Forget Excel, paper, calculators and sorting through a year and a half of receipts.

Access, baby! A few hours and I have myself a brand spanking new Access database that not only lets me put in everything I need to organize my stuff for my favorite and most patient bookkeeper, I can also put in all those spare thoughts that keep popping up that distract me from task on hand. Sales lead ideas, story ideas, remembering that I should be following up with somebody on something, issuing invoices and remembering who still owes me money and who said that they might.

I even have planning for the next four projects all captured and partially completed because everything is all in one spot.

So I am procrastinating (I am sure that is what you are thinking). No, not really. These are all those little things that keeping from staying on task and now I can. Laying the right ground work is the best way to stay grounded.

Writing this blog entry instead of actually using it is, however, is me procrastinating. Being a writer who believes in due diligence I have even gone so far as to read up on some tips to include here. But then realized I would just be feeding the fire. There are so many books on the topic you'll never get back to what you were supposed to be doing. My absolute favorite is the workbook that wants to work through the habit with you to get over it.
The Procrastination Workbook: Your Personalized Program for Breaking Free from the Patterns That Hold You Back Let me get this straight: I should have done this, I don't have any motivation to do it so I turn to tools that passively keep me occupied until I find a 'workbook' (interesting choice of words) that will actively keep me from getting anything done because I am taking a course on how to get things done. Oh, I'm sure that will really make the tax man happy.