Thursday, October 7, 2010

I'm writing a new book

For those who truly know me this will come as no surprise: I am writing a book. The working title is "Me". This is a work that has been frothing up to the surface for the past 21 years but I just didn't know where to start.

It starts like this: "I spent my teenage Saturday mornings in the bowels of the Art Gallery of Ontario, taking art lessons at the Anne Tanenbaum Gallery School. Instead of watching Saturday morning cartoons I was drawing naked old men and nude pregnant women."

The Caledon Public Library has bought a couple of copies of Broken Axle Spinning Blind for its collection and it is available for purchase on Amazon. Though it would be lovely to sell thousands of copies I just want people to read it. There are so few times in life when you can truly feel satisfied with what you have done and I am satisfied with it.

People don't usually expect poetry to be good so when I give them a copy they take it expecting it to be bad and then they start to read it. The reaction is best described as confusion because now they don't know what to think. If an author gives you their work somehow it means less than if you found it yourself.

That's the thing about written work, people like to discover it for themselves.

So, discover it. I challenge you. Get a copy of Broken Axle Spinning Blind, by Freyda Tartak and see for yourself.