Sunday, November 29, 2009

If it smells bad, don't eat it

Yuck! Last night, it was my chance to do a little Christmas shopping and get some stuff done at home. Taxes, and editing my book. Stuff like that. So, I wanted to save a little time.

The Oceans is right beside the Toys R Us. I had my reservations but, they have fresh food and I wanted something quick and easy. I'm always a bit hesitant about the sushi counter. Especially when the people making it have gone for the day.

But, hey, I figured now that Loblaw Companies Limited is supposed to own them, their food safety should be more reliable. Don't believe it. I don't think it's the sushi that got me. More like the seaweed salad. It didn't smell right as soon as I opened it. But, you know I don't eat it that often and figured it was seaweed and hey, maybe that's what it is supposed to smell like. My nose doesn't always do a great job and sometimes things kick in a bit stronger than other times.

I forced myself through half the package because I was hungry and threw out the rest. Now, I woke up at half past five in the morning wanting to throw up and wishing I could. I tried sticking my finger down my throat but, didn't have the stomach to go through with it. Don't know how bulimics do it. I suppose you could get used to anything.

Now, I'm not sure what to do. Those hepatitis commercials have pretty much freaked me out. You know the ones. They start off with a nice tropical beach scene and then point out all the hidden dangers. Then one of the people says "hmmm, this looks nice", like an unsuspecting tourist who is perfectly healthy and about to ingest some Hep A or B. So, they suggest getting Twinrix.

Then, they went even further to suggest that hidden dangers exist at home, too. So, this is where they really get you. The vaccine doesn't exactly inoculate you for an extended period of time. Only three months. So what exactly are they expecting people to do? Go get it every three months? A bit ridiculous, no?

I wish I could just throw up, now. This feeling of disgusting, pending explosion is stuck at the back of my throat. I think that if I keep sitting here with my face looking like I want to blow chunks, it will stay that way permanently.

Just imagine me sitting in front of a potential client or at a book reading with a face like that. Hey, kiddies, want to hear a bed time story? Aaaaaargh, mommy! The scary lady is talking to us!!!!

So, be careful about eating ready made food from Oceans. Even if they did remodel their store, it doesn't mean the food is any safer. Maybe the reduced price sticker should have warned me off but, I was going by the best before date.