Monday, November 2, 2009

The Men Who Stare At Goats

Just to be clear, I have not seen this movie yet. I want to though. Fact is that with tiny tots under foot, it's tough to get out.

Still, how funny is this title? "The Men Who Stare At Goats." As my local couch potato put it, they obviously aren't doing it for the money anymore. I almost split my side laughing, which was even more challenging given that I had just taken a gulp of tea and had not had time to swallow yet.

Clooney is awesome on a bad day but, and Ewan in no slouch either. So, this does look good. But, what really sells it is the guy from 24 (Glenn Morshower). I've never seen him in anything before his repeated stints as the secret service dude and now it looks like he's getting himself typecast as the guy in uniform. What he needs is a good Judd Apatow flick to rescue his ass from that terrible fate.

Again, I haven't seen the movie yet but, why is it that Jeff Bridges always picks roles where he looks like he's in on a bigger joke than everybody else? Is he the only guy in the entire Universe that really, truly understands the randomness that is 42?