Saturday, April 4, 2009

Husband

I'll tell you a tale of a peculiar beast
The man who wed one day
That day, I know not why, sweat pouring down his face
He did not bother to correct
The way I did in error
Light the candle in the middle
I asked him why
He simply said "I wasn't going to correct you."

I'll tell you a myth of a man
That should be all sorts of wonderful things
Then I'll tell you the truth of a lovely man
Who today made chicken soup

There are so many times that I
Perhaps should keep my cool
So many moments when the mind reels at how he thinks
Not what he should be doing

Then I will think of many times I've trembled before others
Feeling less than secure
Not knowing how to fit in
So why do I have no control of hurtful things I've told him

Who is this beast and why is it
That days and years go by
When we do not connect at all
Heaping painful actions

Who knows what many years will bring
If we will be together
There are some times that bind us now
But, nothing bound us then
We could have walked away a million times

Somehow, we did not choose to.