Saturday, December 17, 2011

Apathy

Haven't written in a while. In part because I've been busy. In part because I have been thinking of shutting down the blog. Today I'm glad I didn't. I have something to say and I hope you'll listen, take note, and spread the word.

There's been more and more talk lately about onlookers observing as an injustice takes place. More and more, rather than intervening on behalf of somebody being beaten to a pulp, video tape it and post it to YouTube. Sheep. That's what they all are.

I stepped in today and when I turned around found that the onlookers did not back me up. If the mob had turned on me, I would had been toast and nobody would have helped. I went home wondering if I had been out of line or overreacted. I hadn't but those around me certainly under-reacted.

We tell our children to not get involved because we don't want them to get hurt. We teach them to not stand up for what is right. Would I change this message for my children? NO! I don't want them to get shot, stabbed, beaten... but what if we don't stand up anymore?

Is it because we are scared or because we don't care or does it even matter?

What do we do now? Those who will perpetrate are invincible because nobody will stand against them and they have no reason to fear repercussion until after the fact. Are they shamed by the public airing of their deeds? Does the fact that they get arrested AFTER THE FACT serve as some sort of deterrent?

Come on people! What are we going to do about this? What is the answer?