Monday, December 6, 2010

Where to go on New Year's Eve

New Year's has always been a bit of a touchy subject for me. I have never really gotten the point of getting that worked up about something that really isn't all that remarkable.

Really, how is is this day different from any other day? You get up, get dressed, go about your business, and either feel really psyched about going to a party to mark.... not much, or feel inadequate for lack of any real plans.

The next day, a lot of places are closed and there is this enormous feeling of deflation. A deep gray sigh, exhaling all that you thought you were going to feel. It is like knowing nothing will come and sitting at the door waiting for it anyway.

Just like pro sports. I don't get that cycle either. Work hard, brave injuries, battle, win or lose, get traded, and do it again... maybe. Huh?

Well, let me clarify: I get why people play sports. I just don't get the fans (especially the rabid ones). This is no different from any other form of zealotry or mass hysteria. Blind, fanatical nationalistic pride over things and people who were traded to make the team more effective.

I don't get it.

With New Year's at least the deep exhale is a chance to start over and do better. But, there again I really don't get it. Why are we always striving to correct things instead of trying to find a groove and work it to perfection? Why are we constantly trying to recreate the wheel?

Is it really ever possible to become satisfied? Is happiness ever really in reach?

I think so. But then again, I hate new year's eve.