Thursday, January 26, 2012

It isn't my problem

I'll tell you what is and isn't my problem.

My problem is what prevents me from being where I am to where I want to be. If, on occasion, that involves me caring about somebody and needing to help them (even strangers) I may pause on my path and adjust what to do first. This is my personal choice.

It is not my problem if somebody else can't find a ride to my wedding... unless it is my to be husband, parents or minister. It is not my problem if some over protective parent decides to sign their kids up for way too many after school activities and wants to but can't fit in something I am offering. It is not my problem if the world going to come to an end when you think it might or might not and does or does not take everybody but you.

This is, yet again, one of those obviously ridiculous and completely inane statements that you never even thought you would find yourself re-reading more than less than once. But there it is, and still relevant because of the moment in which you find yourself.

What is more, 'the end is nigh' is somehow translated in the eyes of believers to 'the end of times'. Once again, let us define what is god and the end of exactly what. Time will not end as it is a completely abstract concept that carries with it some sort of finite hint of a beginning and therefore an end... relatively speaking. But relative to what? This is the question. It comes back to the idea that we are the supreme beings. That humans are the center of the universe and all revolves around us.

This concept flies in the face of so much actual physical proof to the contrary that it is not worth even perpetuating this myth. Oh, but except there are enough people to believe it that we keep bringing it back again and again, perpetuating the greatest lie of all time.

Let us regroup now. How ultimately significant is it to know if we are the product of a divine spirit and therefore the most important of gods creatures? As a life form onto its own it is our individual responsibility to ensure the continuation of the species. It is the role of any and all life forms to try and perpetuate its own existence. Same goes for the amoebae, same goes for that snail that wants to cross a busy highway, same goes for me, same goes for avid church goers and, same goes for martyrs. The idea is that when you die you have to die for something or it was a waste of a life.

Life is sacred. This is not a problem, it is an obligation and a universal truth.

My problem is not that some people feel that they have the right to debate the validity of others' right exist.

My problem does not even begin until they either tolerate, encourage, or perpetrate judgement on entire groups of people simply based on their gender, race, religious convictions, or nationality.

Ultimately, it is a contradiction of the human prime directive to assume that any man or woman is so enlightened that they can, without a doubt, relay and act upon the will of god by taking away what was not given by or of them.