Monday, November 15, 2010

Telephone marketing: A new height of insanity

I'm working. In my pj's. Not the the ones you sleep in, though I could. The kind you wear when you have no intention of going anywhere because you are up to your eye balls in work.

I get a call on line two. The one we use as a backup line and without any features on it. We never give the number out. Just for kicks I pick up the phone, knowing it's one of two things: Wrong number or somebody telling me that either I won something or according to their records I'm due for a duct cleaning.

As soon as I pick up the phone I get a sexy recorded female voice asking me to please hold on a minute. No, really, it sounded sexy. I almost got turned on. I decide to hold, wondering what snarky one-liner I should use to tell them off before hanging up on some stunned minimum wage sucker who thinks this is a great way to earn a living.

So, I wait.... a bit longer than it usually takes them to kick in the auto dialer queue thing-a-ma-jig until I get VOICE MAIL! No, not just voice mail. Voice mail that informs me that I have reached 'M' 'G' 'R' and requests that I leave a message.

I don't even know who called me! And, 'mgr'? Short form for 'manager'? Wholly cow! I bet the call display will say they called from 123-456-7891. Do people actually do business with these companies?

For all the talk of fraud, identity theft and the like you really have to wonder if at least some of the people that get victimized sort of deserve it because they actually fell for it.

Actually, we should probably thank all those poor souls for falling for these cheap tricks so that these companies don't have to resort to things that are actually hard to detect until the deed is done.

Here's one for the Village Idiot, may there be more like you.