Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Why do ex's look you up?

The other day I got an email invite to LinkedIn. Every once in a while I get these and for the most part I accept, even though I really don't get LinkedIn.

For one thing, I'm not looking for a job and for another I couldn't care less if anybody wants to make a professional connection with me. I have my reasons and if you knew what I did for a living you would probably understand.

Anyway, I got one of these invites and it came from ... wait for it ... an ex boyfriend. Am I guilty of having looked up ex's hoping to find out where they are these days and what they have been up to? Of course I am. I'll admit it. There are two in particular that a part of me will always have a soft spot for. One is a psycho and the other just wasn't all that into me, or at least he wasn't into me enough to agree to his mother's wish on her deathbed to never be with me.

But this guy, I broke it off with. It was one of those "you had to see it coming moments" where the guy turns around and says, no, no I didn't. But, he broke up with his ex to be with me and then after we broke up went right back to her and married her.

Fifteen years later he says my face materialized before his eyes and he just had to get in touch. This would be, by my count, the third who has looked me up via social media and attempted to start a conversation. Then there are the two guys that fall into that it-never-went-anywhere-because-they-never-had-the-guts-to- pursue-it-but-you-sure-knew-they-wanted-to-because-they-hung-around-like-puppy-dogs-and-basically -admitted-they-thought-that-I-would-break-their-heart so they didn't even want to go there. I'm not sure why they do this. Just fishing I guess.

Okay, well I'm not sure if that is what it is because I am gullible and want to believe in honest intentions.

Also, in the past week I have (at random) met three people who seriously believe in their abilities to communicate with the dead and all that sort of thing. Plus maybe a part of me just wants to believe it.

But I don't know. Maybe it's all innocent. Still, my life is complicated enough I think. I'm too busy for this stuff.

I'll tell you one thing. Those two guys that I looked up I'm sure glad that one of them isn't looking me up because it took too long to get over him in the first place and I'm glad the other isn't because he's a bad apple.

The scariest thing about LinkedIn is that it keeps trying to be useful so if somebody looked somebody else up, that person gets a suggestion "do you know this person?" and I'll tell you that I really don't think I want either one of those guys seeing that I was even curious.

I'm going to go stick my head in a hole now.

But why do they look you up? I have no answer for this.