Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Is it all worth it?

You have to wonder why you try
You have to wonder why you cry

No time to sweat the tiny thoughts that clutter up your mind
No time for wishful thinking

The buzzing sound inside my head of things undone, unsaid
The years go by before I blink
The middle ages almost here

With many years that used to be
Ahead of all the rest
And yet, I'm here
I'm ready now
I've done what I set out to

I'm right on track
Through blood and tears
Through shear determination

There's nothing to regret
It could be faster, better, smarter
It could be richer, bigger, fatter
It could be worse

To look at other great achievers
To look at those that I admire
It may surprise and yet astound
That they, too, had not hit their stride
Until they about now

And looking back it seems so clear
All road led them to here
But, at the time it may have seemed that failure overshadowed
Each thing they did
Each moment passed

Yet here we are
Beholden
Bemused and full of awe

All we can do is what we've done
That's all that we can ask for
Today is gone
Tomorrow comes
Tonight I'll let myself to sleep
To rest, to dream, to re-invent
The reasons to wake up