Friday, August 14, 2009

A Lesson In Humility

It has been said that if you were meant to be a writer you would have started young. Really young. It is something that you live and breathe and can't help but do. For this reason I was under the impression that I wasn't one yet.

It is also said that cleaning your storage spaces and getting rid of clutter is a healing process. I propose that it can be a rebirth. Not until I finally went through 25 years of papers did I realize just how much writing I had done over the years and how much of it I am still proud of today.

A few days ago I signed up for Helium thinking this was a new venture for me. It wasn't. It has, however, been very humbling. After each article that you post you are asked to rate the work of others through a side by side comparison.

Let me tell you that after spending two or three hours writing something I wasn't in much of a mood to rate anything but, understand that this is an important part of how Helium works. So, I causally rated my way through three or four screens. Then I was faced with two works that were a bit of a toss up. I liked the way the first one started but, the second got my attention and I really read it.

This is were it gets really funny. I rated for the other one even though I actually read the second and only scanned through the first just because I felt that it was more in line with what Helium's standards are supposed to be. Then, my family (me included) went out for a while. Having some time to reflect I suddenly realized that the article which captivated me so much was actually one I had written a few years ago under a different pen name.

Now, for the life of me I can't remember what that pen name was and I feel like such a fool for judging based on somebody else's standards. That's what happens when you don't take playing God very seriously.